Monday, February 15, 2016

2016.15.2- From Carnval to Valentines Day, and everything in between!

Elder Yoder standing by a sign that says "End of Works".  Typically missionaries will take a pic like this at the end of their mission... although he is certainly NOT done with his work, he sent this one over just after hitting his half way mark.
On a totally different note. I believe Portugal got hit by a little tropical storm this past weekend. The sky was bipolar this past week. We would have 15 minutes of blowing wind and fierce rain, and then calm and sunny skies. Then back to rain. Then back to sun. I imagined little arms from just hitting Tomar. It was kinda interesting. 

On tuesday was the actual festival of carnaval. We called it "Poor Mans Carnaval." It was a bunch of average floats being pulled around by tractors (Idaho, anyone?). Also, President Amorim is raising the bar for the mission, and really pushing us, so a lot of our district meeting was about that. This week we will get a visit from Pres. Kearon, the President of the Europe Area. So the mission is pretty pumped about that. Basically all the missionaries in the North of Mainland Portugal will gather in Porto, so that'll be a blast to see some old faces! Unfortunately our friends on Madeira wont be joining us. They get there own meeting on Madeira with Pres Kearon. 

Edmar. I dont know whats going on with him. he didnt come to church this week. :( He said it was raining to hard. Ughh. But during lesson, we finished teaching the Gospel he of Jesus Christ and talk about Baptism, and seemed pretty determined to take this very important step. Maybe we will have calling to repentace to do this week. 

Entroncamento! We went their on Saturday with plans to do the second part of Listão with our Branch President. but he cancelled on us. That was okay though, cause when all your plans fall  through, something cool happens! WE FOUND AND TAUGHT A FAMILY!!!!! :D On friday, during our weekly planning I proposed to Elder Crist that we change the way do our contacts. i decided to whip out the good ole survey that I had used with Elder Storrer in Castelo Branco. This time, it was magic! :) We knocked on their door, did the survey, and ended up getting into the house, and teach the first lesson. All within like half an hour! It is a dad, mom, and daughter with 10 years. Sergio, Raquele, and Mariana, respectively. During the lesson, Sergio was kinda in the other room, the kitchen that was connect to where we were sitting. During our lesson I was praying that his heart would be softened and would at least just listen to us. Towards the end, and as we were explaining the Book of Mormon, we caught him just listening in. Then he joined us for the last prayer! It was soo sweet! The mom was pretty interested. And the daughter was just so cute! :) After we left, Elder Crist and I just started dancing and fist pumping in the air. We even did a chest bump. And obviously, we said a prayer of gratitude for that family! :) Oh, we were pumped!!! Haha! :) Highlight of the week! :)

Church was lovely. The missionaries basically did everything yesterday. Elder Crist gave the lesson in Priesthood, I gave the SundaySchool lesson (WHAT!), and Elder da Silva almost led sacrament meeting, but luckily our Branch President showed up in time. He had a sudden thing a work pop up, and asked us all to do this on saturday. He said he would maybe make it to Sacrament Meeting. And he did. So that was nice. It was fun to teach Sunday School. We are studying the Book of Mormon this year, and so I taught about 2 Nephi 3 and 4. Which is a chapter about prophecies about Joseph Smith, and then a chapter with Nephi's Psalm, respectively. Also, and I dont think I have been saying this, but I am the Branch's organist! Haha! My father's curse has finally caught up to me. At or around 9th grade I decided to drop piano because I felt my life was little busy. I can still remember my father's words, "You are going to go on a mission, and arrive in a little branch where no one plays the piano, and you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping up with the lessons." Thankfully, in the 6 years that I did take piano, and my years in high school choir, I am decently decent at sight reading the melody. And so, in any down time that I have (which is next to none), I tray and practice a few hymns for the next sunday. I have one hymn memorized (God Speed the Right), and I am slowly improving my sight reading skills. I am at the point where I can sight read the treble clef. :) Anyway, my fathers curse wasnt quite fufilled, but I wished I would've been more persistent with piano. 

After church, we did a division, and I got to work with the greenie, Elder Holdsworth. Nothing happened, but, we bonded over cross country, and we even figured out that we probably ran together in the Bob Firman Race! Ohh, the memories! Good ole Bob Firman! Shout-out to all my cross country friends! :) 

I am pretty pumped for the meeting with Pres Kearon! Also, today I am starting a 40 day fast (no, not from food). A fast from habits, laziness, disobedience, etc. to become a more consecrated missionary. In fact, President Amorim invited the whole mission to do one. So, one more step towards consecration! :) 

Love you all. Have a fantastic week! Read your scriptures and say your prayers! :)

This was a little kid carnival that they had, which was my favorite.
This was outside of where I was getting my haircut!

The REAL Carnaval parade... it was weird.
This is some Egypt float... probably the safest thing I saw!

Elder da Silva ate some of my ice cream and left evidence!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment