Seeing that we are going to have transfers this week, I decided that it would good to kinda reflect on what went well, and what could've been better during this transfer. It is kinda hard to describe this transfer. The first word that comes to my mind is: blah. It just kinda happened, and I'm not sure how.
One: When frustration, discourgement, or anger comes, apply the most recent Elder Holland talk entitled, "Tomorrow the Lord Will Do Wonders among You." I found myself thinking about and listening to that talk a lot during this transfer. In fact, during our Zone Conference that we had earlier in the transfer, Presidente Amorim, showed a part of that talk for us. General Conference is a blessing in my life. One of my favorite parts goes like this: "When there was a controversy in the early Church regarding who was entitled to heaven’s blessings and who wasn’t, the Lord declared to the Prophet Joseph Smith, 'Verily I say unto you, [the gifts of God] are given for the benefit of those who love me and keep…my commandments, and [for them] that seeketh so to do. (D&C 46:9)' Boy, aren’t we all thankful for that added provision “and …seeketh so to do"!" I have given that provision a name: "The Holland Clause." :) No, Elder Holland didnt create this doctrine, nor did was it his idea. But, this whole talk, or at least a part of it, was based on this scripture, and very important doctrine. Therefore, when life gets rough, when things go south, when your back is up against, and you feel like you have nowhere to go, apply the "Holland Clause" and as Elder Holland says, "So keep loving. Keep trying. Keep trusting. Keep believing. Keep growing. Heaven is cheering you on today, tomorrow, and forever."
Two: I need to humble myself, and stop trying to do things my way. No, I'm not a disobedient missionary that is out here wasting the Lord's time, and enjoying cool castles or awesome historic sites. Although, sometimes I have felt that way. Something I learned this transfer was that there is the Lord's way of doing things, and then there is my way. What is my way? Teaching how I want teach. Trying to convince people the gospel is true. Just biting the bullet and knocking doors all day long, or passing by people who probably dont have a lot of potential. While some of these efforts bring forth fruit, most of the time it is me, "kicking against the pricks" and trying to do things my way. In one of his recent letters, and in my interview with him, Presidente Amorim asked, "Whose mission are you in? Yours or Presidente Amorim's?" Are we trying to do things our way, which maybe will bring some fruit, or are we humbling following the counsel of our mission president, who was called and set-up by an Apostle, and who is constantly receiving direction from them? This next transfer, I am going to be in Preisente Amorim's mission. :)
Three: I learned a couple things about myself, that I will apply not in only in this transfer, but in my life as well. It is all rather personal, but I am grateful that I had the oppurtunity to learn them, and go through this transfer.
Four: I am grateful for the success of others and the examples that they give me! :) Many of my friends that are on missions have found families recently, baptized them, or will baptize them soon! :) This is always awesome to see! :) It always gives me hope that I can find a familiy here in Portugal! :) And it wasnt only friends outside of my mission, but friends that I have made on my mission as well that have had success. I even learned that my first area, Aveiro, which now has two duplas, was one of the highest baptizing areas in the mission (If you combine the results of the two duplas!). And, from what I can tell, some investigators that I started teaching are going to be baptized pretty soon! :) That made me pretty happy! :) Hard work pays off! :)
In other news, we taught Ascensão (oh yeah, my father asked for pronunciation help, so here it is: A-shen-sow) again. We tried marking here for the 14th, but she just flat up denied us. With out thinking, she just said no. It was the quickest, but most honest, rejection I have had to a baptismal invite. She said she wasnts time and more preparation. She came to church yesterday, and her husband, whom we have had little contact with, showed up in the last 30 minutes of sacrament meeting. So, we will see what potential she (or they) will in the near future.
Yesterday, after church, a less active called us and wanted to meet with us. His name is Miguel. I think I have talked about him before. He is the MMA fighter, but now he is going to stick with Jijitsu (?). MMA was getting too rough, and too time consuming. I was drawing a blank on how to start our lesson with him, but one thought was just passing thorugh my head, "Ask him if there is anyway we can help him." So thats what I did. He told us htat he wants to prepare himself to get the Melchizedek Priesthood! :D I was pretty pumped about that. Ww then taught him the first lesson, because President Amorim and our Branch President want us to re-teach all the lessons to lessa actives who are willingly to receive us. It went well, and we have another appointment with him today! :) Oh this branch needs him more than he knows! :) That little lesson, which was less than 30 minutes, made my whole week. It turned my whole week around.
Then, by the time that was over, it was time to talk to my family! :) My family is too big that not all of them could fit comfortable in the computer screen! ;) #bigfamiliesarethebest I always love talking to my family! Olivia is old enough now where I could interact with her, so that was really adorable! She has grown up so much! :)
I love you all. Transfers are this tuesday. My heart tells me that I am leaving, but I wouldn't be suprised if I stayed. If I leave, I would like to go to Madeira! I feel like the island is calling me! :) Also, Elder Bednar is going to visit our mission this month, and so Madeira always gets a special Zone Conferecne beaucse travel on and off the island is a little bit complicated. So it would be really cool to have a personal Zone Conference with Elder Bednar! :) But hey, I'll go where the Lord wants me to go! :)
Com muito amor,
Elder Yoder
| The Lincense Plates from that place in Entroncamento! :) #coolestbirthdaypresentever |
| My family cramming onto my computer screen! :) #youcanthandlethis |
No comments:
Post a Comment