Monday, January 9, 2017

2017.09.01- Elder Yoder's last letter from Portugal! :'(

I cant believe it. My last pday. Time has flown by way too fast. 

Yesterday was fast and testimony meeting, and as I have about every month, I got up and bore my testimony. Just a little before though I got a little emotional. My last fast Sunday as a missionary. I almost started crying. But, I stuffed it down and got and bore my testimony. It was rather simple, but it was powerful. I felt it running though my veins! It was so cool. 

Our area is going pretty well. Sister Amorim's mom is preparing very well. She came to church all by herself! President and Sister Amorim were in Tomar (my last area), and she stayed in Porto. But she came! And she loved it! 

We taught a couple recent converts/less actives this week as well. We are really trying to help fortify the ward.

We taught a Catholic missionary from Mexico with a RM that got back a week ago! It was pretty cool. However, he didnt agree with us on the great apostasy. No practicing, active Catholic has ever 
agreed with that point. So it didnt go as we wanted, but it was pretty cool. 

We also taught a guy named António who is studying to be an Architect. Elder Wait is also studying to be an Architect. So those two have bonded pretty well, and we got a foot in the door! They accepted the Restoration pretty well! 

We also contacted a 23 year old Brazilian named Mateus (Matthew). And he is married! How insane! A 23 year-old man that is married, and he isnt a member of the Church. Why isnt he baptized yet!? We are going to do some follow-up with him, and get him in the waters!

Linda, a less active that we have been working with came to church this week! During the week we had planned that we would walk her to church. Then Saturday night she sent us a text message saying that she would be a little late. Well, that didnt stop us. We went to her house around 915ish, and she told us to go without us. But we said we would wait. I think we left her house around 930/940ish. And we got to church just a little bit late. Luckily sacrament meeting is the last hour. She participated in Gospel Principles really well. So well that Bishop wants to invite her to teach Gospel Principles this week! How cool! 

It was a busy week! Working hard til the end!

Office work is going well! We preparing our budget for 2017. I feel like I have received a crash-course in accounting/business management from our Mission President. #officeblessings 
I am excited to wrap things up this week, and pass on the throne to Elder Wait and Elder Judd.

And a final note. An elder got injured pretty bad this past week, and so this next week he has to take it easy and chill in the mission home. So Elder Judd is leaving the office for a week to take this Elder's spot until transfers. So Elder Wait, Elder Valentine, and I will be a tripla for a week! #triplafordays #officelife #cannevergetawayfromthetripla

Alright. Lessons learned. Three things.

1.) Hard work. People have told me that I have a hard work ethic. But I never really believed them. I was almost always late to school. I almost never did my homework. Looking back, I dont know how I graduated from school. My dad was worried that I would get a shock on the mission. And that I did! I have learned a lot about hard work, and getting things done! And this is going to stay with me for the rest of my life. I have fire for getting things done! I cant imagine life just sitting around doing nothing. What a waste! Life is for living.

2.) His Grace is sufficient! A few of my favorite talks that I heard on the mission are the following: "Where Justice, Love, and Mercy Meet" by Elder Holland (GC April 2015), "The Gift of Grace" by President Uchtdorf (GC April 2015), and "His Grace is Sufficient" by Brad Wilcox (BYU Speech July 2011). We are saved by grace. No doubt about it! Christ's loving and atoning sacrifice for us is how we make it back. He paid the price with His precious blood. There is nothing we can do to repay Him, and there is no way we can prove ourselves worthy of the unmovable demands of Justice. So then why does faith matter? What is the point of obedience? Why do we have commandments? Because of the Grace of Christ. All these things are for our good, and are here to teach us how to be better, but they dont qualify us to enter Heaven. Christ has opened the door. And invites to change and come on in. Christ's doctrine is a doctrine of change. He came to the world to change things up. And some people didnt like it. People didnt like being told that they needed to repent. That they needed to abandon the wicked traditions of their fathers. And it appears that this is still true today. People dont want to change. People dont want a new life. However, have YOU been changed because of the Grace of Christ? Are you a different person than you were yesterday? A month ago? A year ago? A decade ago? I know I can look back on mission and I am a different person than I was two years ago! And it is crazy to see the change.

3.) Obedience brings happiness! Speaking of obedience... As we are obedient we are happy in our lives! It is something I have learned over and over! :) During my mission and my life. And I am sure it is something that I'll continue learning throughout my life!

I LOVE YOU ALL! I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY! I DONT WANT TO GO HOME! Especially to this snowpocalpyse! But I have served my time, and I am ready to move on to the next step in my life. Thank you all for reading my letters, sending your love and support. Thank you for being my friends! 

Com amor,

Elder Yoder (PARA SEMPRE!)
One last selfie! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment