Right when we arrive the office elders/APs are there to pick us and take us to the mission home. Once we get there we have an interview with the President and some lunch. Then we meet our trainers, have a long training/orientation meeting, and then they send us off to our areas! We got to Portugal around 10/11ish in the morning Portugal Time (So like 4 or 5 in the morning MTN Time). We were definitely tired, and I was definitely falling asleep during the meeting.
My first area is a town called Aveiro. It is north of Lisboa, but south of Porto. Really cool town, and the people here are so funny! First night I got here in Aveiro, we started contacting and I really didn't understand a word of what they were saying.
My companion is Elder Puriri, he is from St. George, but his dad was born in New Zealand, and my comp actually lived there for 11 months (like his senior year of high school). He has only been in Portugal 4 months, but he is pretty aweomse. We are both kinda just leaning as we go. Oh ya, we are also white-washing this area, so we have no idea where anything is, or who anybody is! It is awesome!
| Elder Yoder and Elder Puriri fresh off the train in Aveiro |
The members here are great! They love the missionaries. Everybody came up and shook my hand in Church on Sunday! And it sounded like this, "Ola, Elder, tudobem, kjfgidhgrthfglkudsfgb?" for reals though. I thought I could kinda understand Portuguese, but no. And of course they ask me a question, and I just kinda stare at them with a smile :)
1st day was pretty hard, but I got over it and I am loving the work here! Portugal is a promised land! The attitude in this mission is that we are going to baptize, and we are going to baptize a lot! I love it! I think it is different than other Europe missions!
Old people here are funny. We went and contacted these three little old ladies sitting on a bench, and they just went on and on and on, and I couldnt stop smiling. One, becuase I didnt understand a word they were saying, and two becuase there were so funny and cute!
We have about 4 progressing investigators that are all really close to baptisms, but we havent been able to contact them (part of that was due to White-washing the area). And yesterday we picked a NOVO Pesquisador! It was so awesome! It is this little old lady that just loves to talk, so we talked about the Book of Mormon and how it is the word of God, and she was like, "Of course it is, just like the Bible!" So we are going to go over to house with member tomorrow so that we can go sit in her living room (We gave the book of Mormon lesson on doorsteps, but she wanted us to come in really bad!) So fun!
Portugal is awesome. Everything is a lot smaller here. And the milk, that took a little bit to get used to as well. Love you all! Pray. Always pray. Atonement is real! Jesus Christ is always there for us! Give 'em Heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment