Wednesday, July 13, 2016

2016.12.7- The Cleansing



This week was probably one of the weirdest, and longest weeks of my mission. It was full of many emotions. It also felt pretty long because it has been 11 days since my last Pday! :) 

This week was also a roller coaster for our mission. We learned that 7 missionaries were sent home early. Yikes. And being in the office, I witnessed part of that. And it was not fun, and I did not want to be there. A few them I had gotten to know, and were pretty good friends. It was sad to see that happen. They were good kids, and I will love them for the rest of my life. In fact, the special conference with Elder Kearon we had yesterday was about this topic. We talked a lot about what we are going to do as a mission going foward. About being a team, and just loving everyone! It was such an awesome conference, and I left feeling clean and happy and ready to take on the world! :) 

This week we baptized that family!!!!!! It was so cool! The baptismal service was super sweet, and I just fell in love with this family, and I am super excited for what is in store for them. Truly the gospel blesses families! :)

On Saturday, we had a huge "Junina" festival. During the month of June, Portugal basically has a big ole fesitval for São João (St. John). And so Elder Erhardt, who is from Brazil, wanted to throw a "Junina" fesitval which is something they do in Brazil. Basically, he and a couple other brazilians have been planning this since I have gotten. They got the two stakes in Porto involved, and just pulled out all the stops. I had been looking forward to this, because I havent had many well planned church activities on my mission. And it turned out pretty well! :) I got some pictures, and there was some videos taken that I will "steal" from some other missionaries. :) The turn our was great, the food was good, and the music was brazilian! :) Porto is just a party! :)

We've been using the metro and busses here in Porto more now, so that has been fun. On Wednesday, I got to do residency with a couple of other Elders in my group that got here in the country. That was fun. So now, even though I about 6 months left, I have one more year of Portuguese Residency. Which basically means that after I go home, I can return whenever I want without having to get a visa for up to 6 months! :D 

Portugal WON!!!!!! Confession: I saw part of the game. There was really no way I couldnt, unless I stayed inside. I basically saw the second half, and it ended 0-0. We were like, welp, time to go home, I guess we will hear whether they win or lose. Then as we were walking home, we passed a café, and it was still 0-0. They were just starting the second 15 minutes of overtime (I have learned a lot about soccer since being on the mission. If a game is tied at the end of 90 minutes, then there is one overtime of 15 minutes, and if it is still tied after that, a second overtime of 15 minutes. IF, it is still tied after that, and it is a game where a winner needs to be decided, e.g. a tournament game, then it goes to penalty kicks, which happened in the quarter-final game between Portugal and Poland), and then they scored! And Portugal exploded. That was early in the second overtime. They then had about 10 minutes to stop France from scoring, which didnt happen. So when the final whistle blew, Portugal started making noise! And it didnt stop till who knows when. :)

Lots of ups and downs this week, but to kinda recap.

Monday the 4th: We drank root beer! And it was the first time in about a year and a half that I had drinken root beer, and it was weird. 

Wednesday the 6th: I did residency and hung with some of my MTCs buds. Also, Portugal beats Wales 2-0, and advances to the finals.

Thursday the 7th: President has Elder Morrison and I come over to the mission home and he told us that we were going to have the special conference with Elder Kearon, and he told us to start making plans for that. That is basically all we did Thursday. Make travel plans for everyone in the mission. Book hotel rooms. Buy plane flights (for the missionaries on Madeira). Etc.

Friday the 8th: The non-pday cause we had more planning to do for the confernece. 

Saturday the 9th: The "Junina" Festival. Super fun! I'll include some pictures. :)

Sunday the 10th: Maria do Céu and Bruno got baptized! :D and Portugal WON! :)

Monday the 11th: The awesome conference with Elder Kearon, and all the after-conference socializing/people passing by the office. 

It certainly was an interesting week. But I learned a lot! I love you all!! :D Have a great week! Até sexta-feira! (Until Friday!)

Elder Yoder
From the 4th!! McDonalds and Root Beer!

The next 5 are from the party! :D





And the last two are from the baptism. Bruno wanted Elder Buchanan to baptize him,
and Maria do Ceu wanted the member that we have been bringing to baptize her. :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment