Tuesday, August 2, 2016

2016.02.8- Transfers, LIVE from the Portugal POrto Mission!

As I write this letter, our mission is in the middle of transfers. About two hours ago, transfers were sent out to the mission, and so currently many missionaries are running around packing their bags, getting everything in order, and travelling. My comp, Elder Morrison got transferred to Gaia, the other side of the river from Porto. He is currently with Elder Jones (my financial comp), who got transferred to Castelo Branco! (My second area!) So, I am chilling in Mission HQ with Elder Erhardt, the Brazilian. Basically our job is to fix problems, cause missionaries like to make problems. 

My new comp will be Elder Valentine. He is in Gaia, so it is just a short metro trip up here to the office. He will be the new Executive. My new financial comp will be Elder Moeller! He is a transfer older than me, and I have gotten to know him a little bit throughout the mission. He is down towards the bottom of the Mission, and wont be getting here til tomorrow night. So I am alone for a day or so (Concerning the financial work). I am pretty pumped for this next transfer! 

This past week kinda flew buy. We taught Rui once, he read 3rd Nephi 12, and we talked about the higher law that Christ taught. He said it seemed hard, almost impossible to live, and that he probably couldn't do it. And I told him straight up, that alone, he wont be able to do it, but with God's help and fervent prayer, he would be able to do it. It was a really cool lesson for me, and I hope that he got something out of it. We are still trying to get him to church, but he always seems to be doing something on Sunday! :( He said that in September, things would calm down. 

We also taught Maria do Céu and Bruno this past week as well. We finished talking about the Gospel of Christ, and understood it really well! She really understand and likes the cycle. Faith brings Repentance which prepares us for Baptism and Receiving the Holy Ghost, and as we listen to the Holy Ghost it will increase our faith, which brings more humility and Repentance. And as we do these things we are Enduring to the End! :D I love the Gospel of Christ! 

About two hours ago, we ended district meeting, with a really cool spiritual thought by our district leader, Elder Erhardt. He used me as a Guinea Pig. It was an exercise very similar to the Donut Parable of a Seminary class. To quickly explain that one, it goes like this: A teacher in a Seminary Class one day asked one of his students, a studly football players, if he would like to be apart of his lesson the next day. The plan was that he (the student) would be doing push-ups, a lot of them. The student agreed to do it. The next day, the class started and the teacher started the Parable. 

He approached one student and asked, "Would you like a donut?" 
This student responded, "Ya sure." 
Then the teacher asked, "Would you like a donut if Jeff (the football player) did 10 push-ups?"
The student responded, "Ya sure."

And thus, the teacher went, asking the students if they wanted donuts. The teacher approached one student, and she said, "I dont want one."
The teacher asked, "Are you sure? It is free."
The student said, "No its not. Jeff has to do 10 push-ups."
The teacher then turned to Jeff and asked, "Would you do 10 push-ups for her, even though she doesnt want the donut."
Jeff said yes. And then did them. He then left a donut on the girl's desk. And he continued, some accepting the gift, and others not. When the teacher had gone to all the students, Jeff was exhausted, shaking, sweating, but he did them all. The teacher then asked, "What did this teach us?"

Here, is where I'll respond. We learned that the Atonement of Jesus Christ is a gift! A gift that we should accept! He has paid the price. He has opened the gates of Heaven. All we have to do is accept this wonderful gift, and follow Him. He has even suffered for those who have yet to accept His wonderful gift. I love this lesson SO much.

And so, I was the one doing the push-ups. Elder Erhardt didnt do the exact same thing, but the principle was the same. And it hurt a lot. My arms are so sore! I couldnt fold my arms for the closer. But I learned something. The Atonement was both physical and spiritual. And I cant even imagine what it was like fro Christ. But one thing is for sure, I love my Saviour!

Love you all! Have a great week! :) 

Com amor,
Elder Yoder
The first is my district. I know I sent this last week, but one more why not!? Everyone on the right half of the group got transferred (Elder Morrison, Elder Jones, and Sister Sousa).
Everyone on the left stayed! :) (Me, Elder Erhardt, and Sister Smith)

This second one is Elder Morrison and I! In our matching shirts #twinners

The third is Elder Erhardt who had fallen asleep on his desk,
and just woke up when I took the picture! #whatdoyouevendoallday?

No comments:

Post a Comment