Monday, September 26, 2016

016.26.09- No Home, No Money, No Problems :D

Well, I have been sleeping at a different house these past couple of days because Sister Amorim and another Senior Sister wanted to de-bugify our house because Elder Valentine has a bunch of bites on his arm. And even though I am the Financial Secretary of our mission, this months I didnt control my money as well as I should have, and so I was left with nothing for this last week of September (September is already over???). Although, towards the end of the month, funds are usually close to none, that's just how missionary life is. However, during this week we should be getting more money, and so we will be able to buy food! And seeing how we dont have a home (or rather, we arent allowed to go to our house), it wasnt possible to do compras (buy food) today. 

Pday was pretty good today. We went and explored more parts of Porto that I havent been to. Took some cool pictures. :) Other than, we dont have money, so we didnt do much. 

This week, we hit a wall in our work. Nothing seemed to be working for us. We also did a lot of finding, and picking up potentials. However, one night a little miracle happened. After much rejection, Elder Valentine asked if we could say a prayer, and he asked Heavenly Father to open people's hearts, so that we could find a family that night. And as we left the building, it started raining. And my first thought, "Freak, Heavenly Father is really testing us." But hey, you dont receive a witness until after the trial of our faith. So, we got soaked, but we found a family! A mother with three children. We didnt get a lesson in, but she was pretty nice, and we told her that we would pass her information to the Sisters. So in the end, I felt like our prayers were answered that night.

Church was pretty good yesterday. Our Gospel Principles class was really cool. Our lesson was about Obedience. The teacher said something that really stuck with me. The only thing that we can give to Heavenly Father, in change for blessings, is our will. Everything else in the world, money, possessions, fame, status, etc., were all given to us by our Father in Heaven. And He can take that all away in a snap of a finger. But He can not take away our will, or in other words, our power to choose, our free agency. But as we are obedient to the commandments, we are giving our will to Heavenly Father. It is something that Elder Zwick touched on during the Mission Council. The true sacrifice of a mission isnt in us being here, or us leaving home, family, school, and work. The true sacrifice of a mission is obedience. 

Portugal thing for the week: Public Transportation is a really common thing here, especially in the big cities. It is cheap, fairly reliable, and can get you to where you want to go. But it has it's own little culture. For example, in order for a bus to stop at a bus stop, one of two things needs to happen: One, some one on the inside needs to press a button telling the driver to stop, OR, someone at the bus stop needs to flag down the bus by extending his/her arm or hand letting the bus driver know that they want to board the bus. It wasnt a super weird thing for me, but being from Boise, Idaho, where public transportation is really rare, and not common, it was something that I had never seem before. Luckily, I have not learned from experience what it feels like to miss a bus because one didnt flag it down, or miss a stop because one didnt push the button; I can imagine that to those not familiar with this culture, could be taken by surprise when bus blows past the stop that you need or where you are standing. 

I love you all! Enjoy this next week! I cant believe it is General Conference time again!!! Woohoo! Time is flying by way to fast! :)

Com amor,
Elder Yoder  













No comments:

Post a Comment